Go Back   ScarletBuckeye - Ohio State Forums > Buckeye Football > College Football

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
McKraut
8th Leaf & NC, 2013

Favorite Buckeye: Demetrius Stanley, Mike Doss, Malcolm Jenkins, James Laurinatis, AJ Hawk, Kurt Coleman
Credits: 3,540,898
Thanked 1,151 Times in 822 Posts

Default Common Man and the Torg

I'm not sure how many of you tune in to 97.1 The Fan, but these guys are spot on today.

Right now they just finished talking about the constant debate about SEC Speed being the shizz. It was all sparked by Bobby Petrino flapping his gums about how to win a NC at Arkansas. Basically Petrino said first you win the SEC and then history shows us that you play one of those slow dumb teams up North in a BCS NC game. I agree that Petrino "the quitter" needs to shut up. Saban at Alabama has the right to talk trash, he's been there done that and won a pair of NCs in the SEC by having tough teams that play hard. If Urban Meyer wanted to talk some trash once again, he's been there and done that, once again by winning the toughness battle. In both the '06 and '07 NC games, the Buckeyes struck first proving that the Big Ten indeed has plenty of speed. Unfortunately for us, our guys just didn't play tough enough those two games and we got embarassed twice.

But getting back to speed versus speed, The Big Ten has fielded some of the fastest teams in all of football in the last decade. Between Ginn, Gonzalez, Beanie and Mo Clarett all 3 OSU teams that appeared in NC games in the last decade we're chock full of speed, as well as the other 7 teams we've fielded in those seasons. Hell, from 2002 through 2005 Minnesota had plenty of speed on the field. They also beat SEC teams in bowl games 2 of those seasons. In the same span Michigan beat Florida in bowl games twice. As much as I hate to say it, Michigan very arguably had the fastest team in the NCAA last year. Grant it that was in a RichRod style under sized spread offense, but they were fast as hell last season and many of those players are going to be back this year. Frankly, I doubt OSU has a shot at a NC this season, but Wisconsin could be a dark horse in the National Championship picture. They have plenty of speed and with Montee Ball and James White returning the running game will be excellent again, and if Russell Wilson pans out as a good passer, he'll have two solid WRs in Nick Toon and Jared Abbrederis as well as a solid TE in Jacob Pedersen to throw too. As much as I loathe Wisconsin for derailing a couple big seasons for tOSU over the years, especially last year, I would love to see them PUMMEL an SEC team in the NC.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
PHATBUCK13
Under The Influence

Favorite Buckeye: Ben Edwards, Billy Price, Joey Bosa, Curtis Samuel
Credits: 145,911,044
Thanked 6,161 Times in 4,566 Posts

I think Michigan has 18 returning starters; 9 on each side of the ball.........

Michigan wins 8-9 games this season but they get their asses kicked by The Ohio State University........
Old 08-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
PHATBUCK13
Under The Influence

Favorite Buckeye: Ben Edwards, Billy Price, Joey Bosa, Curtis Samuel
Credits: 145,911,044
Thanked 6,161 Times in 4,566 Posts

By the way, Common Man and Torg drive me absolutely nutz but I listen to them every day.

I just wish they put real Buckeye fans on the Air and not fake Buckeye fans.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
McKraut
8th Leaf & NC, 2013

Favorite Buckeye: Demetrius Stanley, Mike Doss, Malcolm Jenkins, James Laurinatis, AJ Hawk, Kurt Coleman

I'll agree that Common Man and Torg are DEFINITELY an acquired taste. Concerning tSUN they'll be improved and yes we'll beat them, but I think this will be the most competitive edition of "The Same" since the '06 shootout. The talent isn't back to classic standards for Michigan, but at least Hoke will actually stress the importance of the rivalry as being the the greatest rivalry ever, not just the backyard brawl. That was RR's downfall, as well as any other coach that isn't an OSU / Mich guy. If you never grew up feeling the passion of The Game or participated as a player/coach, you just won't succeed in this rivalry. Point in case, John Cooper. The man was a top rate recruiter, quite probably the best tOSU ever had, he just didn't stress the Michigan game enough.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
Block "O"
Super Sophomore Moderator

Favorite Buckeye: Antoine Winfield, Chris Spielman, and ME
Credits: 3,538,519
Thanked 3,089 Times in 2,086 Posts

The guys who have a sports radio show in Columbus, OH and hate Troy Smith and bash tressel still to this day? As much as I love hearing Favre news, bears news, and everything minnesota they generally suck
Block "O" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
rubbercity87
Rising Star

Favorite Buckeye: Jim Tressel
Credits: 1,052,255

Eh, I would actually disagree that they'll be any better. New coach, new offense, in a program laden with spread option players. Robinson has a half decent arm, but he is in no way ready to throw 30-50 plays per game.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
McKraut
8th Leaf & NC, 2013

I agree they'll be no better than 6 to 8 wins, but I think Hoke will get them way more fired up for The Same than that schmuck RichRod.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
ScarletMerica
Super Buckin' Moderator

Favorite Buckeye: Jesse Owens, Troy Smith, Ted Ginn, Samantha Prahalis, Braxton Miller
Credits: 7,526,947
Thanked 1,214 Times in 828 Posts

I don't care how good they are. I will STILL cherish every win over scUM.

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/ScarletMerica

ScarletMerica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScarletMerica For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
McKraut
8th Leaf & NC, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBuckFan08 View Post
I don't care how good they are. I will STILL cherish every win over scUM.
Hahaha, spoken like a true Buckeye.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
hollis
Brax's only fan

Favorite Buckeye: AJ Hawk
Credits: 163,673,074
Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,093 Posts

Listening to them for the first time today... They sound like message board goons (us). How are they on the radio?
hollis is offline   Reply With Quote