Go Back   ScarletBuckeye - Ohio State Forums > Buckeye Basketball & Sports > Basketball Talk > Player Profiles > Former Player Profiles

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Credits: 2,813,460
Thanked 6,749 Times in 4,596 Posts

Default 2010-2012 PF - Evan Ravenel

Kudos goes out to BRB for breaking this news.................

Rivals.com

Scout.com

Power forward
Brandon, Florida
Brandon

Ht: 6'7"
Wt: 275 lbs

Originally signed with Boston College but due to a coaching change was released from his scholarship and visited tOSU this weekend. Coach Matta offered him a spot and according to the Disptach, he has accepted.

Dispatch

Quote:
Ravenel is the newest Buckeye

Evan Ravenel, a 6-foot-8, 250-pound forward from Tampa, Fla., said he accepted a scholarship offer from Ohio State coach Thad Matta today before returning home from an official visit to campus the past two days.
Ravenel received his release from Boston College in early May after playing two seasons for the Eagles. He will enroll at Ohio State for the summer sessions in June and sit out next season.
More in The Dispatch on Sunday. I just got off the phone with him.
Quote:
BC transfer reportedly visits
Evan Ravenel, a 6-foot-8, 255-pound inside player who was released from his Boston College scholarship after the Eagles changed coaches, visited Ohio State earlier this week, according to Jeff Goodman of FoxSports.com.
Ravenel played two seasons at BC. He averaged 3.3 points and 2.4 rebounds in 10.5 minutes per game off the bench as a sophomore. He played in 25 games for coach Al Skinner, who was replaced after the season by Steve Donahue of Cornell.

Continued................

Last edited by Arapahoe; 03-15-2013 at 05:06 PM.
OSUBasketballJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OSUBasketballJunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Bucknuts.com (Free)

BC Transfer Fills Big Need.....................
Old 06-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Dispatch

Quote:
Men’s College basketball
6-8 transfer adds size to Ohio State’s roster

Sunday, June 6, 2010 02:59 AM
By Bob Baptist
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Evan Turner’s entry in the NBA draft opened a basketball scholarship at Ohio State. Evan Ravenel’s transfer filled it.

Ravenel was not on coach Thad Matta’s radar when Ravenel was recruited in high school. But that changed when Matta added assistant Dave Dickerson to his coaching staff this spring.

Ravenel, who played the past two seasons at Boston College, was recruited by Tulane when Dickerson was the coach there. With Ohio State in the market for more size inside, the 6-foot-8, 250-pound forward visited the campus with his father the past two days and said he accepted a scholarship offer before returning home to Tampa, Fla., yesterday.

“I wanted to play for somebody who recruited me (originally) and I felt comfortable with,” Ravenel said. “I was pretty close to signing with coach Dickerson at Tulane, but it wasn’t the right time to play for them.”

Dickerson took over at Tulane, in New Orleans, about six months before Hurricane Katrina struck in 2005. He spent five seasons trying to succeed in its aftermath before resigning after this past season.

In 25 games at Boston College last season, Ravenel averaged 3.3 points and 2.4 rebounds in 10.5 minutes off the bench.

He asked for and received his scholarship release after coach Al Skinner was replaced by Steve Donahue of Cornell.

Ravenel will sit out next season as a transfer and be a fourth-year junior in 2011-12.

His father, Eugene, said Ohio State was the only school his son visited. Evan said he also considered South Florida and James Madison.

“It’s a real tight family. Everybody looks out for each other,” Evan Ravenel said. “Coach Matta is a different type of coach. I’ve never seen a coach so involved with his players. They work hard for him. I really like that.”

Restocking the Buckeyes interior is one of Matta’s recruiting objectives this summer. The only inside players projected to be on the roster after next season are 7-foot Zisis Sarikopoulos, who will be a senior in 2011-12, and 6-8 Jared Sullinger, who will be a sophomore.

“It’s a good situation for him,” Eugene Ravenel said.

bbaptist@dispatch.com
Old 06-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
BRB
Heisman

Favorite Buckeye: Troy Smith, Braxton Miller, Tyler Moeller, Aaron Craft
Credits: 13,978,302
Thanked 1,095 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Forward Evan Ravenel, who told The Dispatch on Saturday he is transferring to Ohio State, has size (6 feet 8, 250), athleticism, good hands and feet, understands the game and can both post up and step out and make a 15-foot jump shot, Matta said.

"I'm excited to get him in here for a year, for him to learn what we do, how we do it, and spend a ton of time with him on skill development."

Ravenel said he needs to improve his conditioning and upper body strength, which will happen immediately when summer conditioning begins after the start of summer school June 21.
Matta on a few matters (Hoops & Scoops: an OSU basketball blog)
Old 10-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
PHATBUCK13
Under The Influence

Favorite Buckeye: Ben Edwards, Billy Price, Joey Bosa, Curtis Samuel
Credits: 145,909,877
Thanked 6,159 Times in 4,564 Posts

2011 Basketball Preview: Evan Ravenel
October 5, 2011, by Eric

Just like last season, the Buckeyes will have a number of new faces on the court this year. Another of those will certainly be new to the list of available players, though not new to the team in general. The coaches are very high on Evan Ravenel, so don’t be surprised if you’re hearing his name early and often this season.

Hometown: Tampa, FL
High School: Brandon HS
Position: Forward (4/5)
Year: Junior
Height: 6-8
Weight: 260

High School Awards:

- Tampa Tribute All-Hillsborough County second-team honors (2008).
- Tampa All-City honors (2008).
- Class 5A All-State honorable mention from the Florida Sports Writers Association (2008).

Evan Ravenel transfered to Ohio State from Boston College where he played his first two seasons in the ACC under head coach Al Skinner. His transfer was influenced when Boston College fired Skinner after 13 seasons. Not wanting to stick around for Steve Donahue’s new regime, Ravenel went looking for a new place to call home. While the Buckeyes had never directly recruited Evan out of High School, OSU assistant Dave Dickerson did recruit him while Dickerson was the head coach at Tulane. Matta happily gave Ravenel a scholarship offer, and Ravenel joined the Buckeyes before the 2010-2011 season.

Given the NCAA transfer rules Ravenel was required to sit out his first season here at Ohio State. That does not prevent the transfer from working with the team in practices, though, and Ravenel clearly made use of that this last season. He seems to have already bonded with his new teamates in a big way, and it should make an obvious difference this year.

Career Stats:

Stats from Buckeyes Beat, as usual.

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
2009-10 (BC) 25 10.5 3.3 49.2 0.0 71.4 0.4 2.4 0.4 0.1
2008-09 (BC) 14 10.3 2.0 32.1 0.0 58.8 0.4 1.4 0.6 0.1

Strengths:

Ravenel is an excellent area rebounder, having averaged 2.4 rebounds per game during his sophomore season at Boston College. He saw limited time, only 10.5 minutes per game, suggesting that he was very nearly averaging double digit rebounding over the course of 40 minutes of play. This is certainly solid rebounding numbers which will have certainly improved over the last year and a half.

In an interview with Buckeye Planet, he expressed a couple more of his skills,

I believe some of my strengths are being a team player, a good passer out of the post position, getting to the basket from different spots on the floor and ball handling. Buckeye fans can look forward to a person that exemplifies high moral character and one who will compete extremely hard both on and off the court. I am a person who will do whatever it takes within the game to win…a player who can provide offense and defensive stops when called upon to perform.

He sounds a lot like Matta’s favorite type of front court player.

Weaknesses:

Ravenel has never been a big scorer, hitting only about 3 points per game his sophomore season. He will want to improve his floor presence in a big way in order to be the kind of player the Buckeyes will need him to be. He will also need to improve his play while facing the basket, and work on some of his mid-range shooting. If these things are addressed, he could be a force down low for the Bucks during the grueling Big Ten stretch.

Role for the team:

Evan Ravenel is naturally a Power Forward, but may well play a different role this season. With the possibility of Jared Sullinger moving to the 4, someone will need to start at the 5. If Amir Williams is not yet ready to play substantial minutes someone else will have to step in and do the job. Ravenel may very well be asked to perform that role this season, particularly with his experience in the program and the chemistry he’s already developed with the others.

He may also play backup to Sullinger at the 4. Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but if that’s the case, we may see a larger player rotation this season than we’ve seen from Matta in the past. Obviously that’s in doubt, considering every season that we expect a deeper rotation, we continue with 7 men more or less. However, with the depth of talent on the bench, Matta might finally be able to feel comfortable enough in the early season to play a few more players than normal.

Ravenel is a player who could be ready for a breakout season for himself, and it will be a treat to get to watch him do it in the Scarlet and Gray.
_______
The Buckeye Battlecry: Ohio State News and Commentary
Old 10-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Update............

Quote:
ON EVAN RAVENEL…

Ravenel believes he can bring a defensive presence to the team this year. Said his biggest strengths are defense and rebounding.

He isn’t quite as athletic as Dallas Lauderdale, but does have a 7-2 wingspan.
Ravenel also brings experience and leadership from his two years playing at Boston College.

Ravenel said he has been impressed with the two freshmen big men—Amir Williams and Trey McDonald.

He said Williams is a shot-blocker who will bring an immediate defensive presence down low.

He was also impressed with McDonald’s strength. Believes he will be able to contribute this year because he is so strong. Looks more like a guy who has been in the program 2-3 years than an incoming freshman.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
PHATBUCK13
Under The Influence

McDonald is also a helluvan athelete. He ran cross-country in HS as a 6'9" beast.

As for the Raven, I'm in the minority in my expectations for him. I think he very possibly could be our first big off of the bench ahead of Williams. He reminds me a lot of Reggie Evans.

He'll out hustle most for rebounds on both ends if the court. Good pick-up fir Matta last season.

Last edited by PHATBUCK13; 10-13-2011 at 10:30 PM.
PHATBUCK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Every great team has that guy who does all of the so called dirty work..........doesnt score a ton of points but makes all of the hustle plays........I could see Ravenel as that for this team..............
Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Old 10-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
PHATBUCK13
Under The Influence

Hoops & Scoops | Buckeye Xtra Sports
Quote:
Junior Evan Ravenel, who sat out last season after transferring from Boston College, said he plans to fill the same role for the team that Dallas Lauderdale did _ defense and rebounding _ but will do it differently.

"Dallas was a great defender. I think I’m a great defender," Ravenel said. "But he did it with his shot-blocking. I think I do it with my defensive pressure and by playing hard all the time."