Go Back   ScarletBuckeye - Ohio State Forums > Buckeye Basketball & Sports > Basketball Talk

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Credits: 2,829,222
Thanked 6,752 Times in 4,599 Posts

Default 2009-10 Big Ten Basketball General Discussion

Bucknuts.com$

Big Ten Basketball: The Pretenders........................
OSUBasketballJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Credits: 2,829,222
Thanked 6,752 Times in 4,599 Posts

Dispatch

Quote:
OSU picked 3rd, Turner on preseason first team
I'm in Chicago for Big Ten media day. The conference just announced the results of voting for the top three teams in the conference as well as the preseason All-Big Ten team and player of the year.

No surprises here, at least for me.

Michigan State, Purdue and Ohio State are 1-2-3. That's how I voted, too. I think the Buckeyes' experience in their starting five gives them a shot at the top two teams, though Sparty and the Boilers are loaded. But Michigan, Minnesota and Illinois, and maybe Northwestern and Wisconsin, also should have a shot at top five.

The first team is Manny Harris of Michigan, Kalin Lucas of Michigan State, Evan Turner of Ohio State, Talor Battle of Penn State and Robbie Hummel of Purdue. That's an exact match with last season's first team save for one: Purdue center JaJuan Johnson is replaced by his teammate, Hummel, who was last season's preseason player of the year until a back injury hampered his performance for much of the season.

I also voted for four of the five but replaced Battle with Johnson. Nothing against Battle, who I think was marvelously clutch last season. I just think he's going to have more trouble playing his game this season without the supporting cast he had last year, especially guards Stanley Pringle and Danny Morrissey. They took heat off Battle that will be on him this season until some other Nittany Lion attracts it.

Finally, last season's player of the year, Lucas, was given the award again going into this season. I don't have a problem with that, other than that I don't agree. I voted for Turner last season and again this season. I thought he was the best player in the Big Ten then and, until my mind is changed, I think he still is.

He cuts down his turnovers and maybe more will agree with me.
OSUBasketballJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote