Go Back   ScarletBuckeye - Ohio State Forums > Buckeye Football > Football Talk > Player Profiles > Former Player Profiles

Notices

Old 05-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Credits: 2,828,932
Thanked 6,752 Times in 4,599 Posts

Default 2007-2010 DT - Cameron Heyward (Pittsurgh Steelers)

PlainDealer

Quote:
Ohio State football: The presence of Cameron Heyward
by Doug Lesmerises
Wednesday April 29, 2009, 1:45 PM

Ohio State defensive line

Thought No.3

Cameron Heyward is one of the most important OSU recruits of the last few years.

The last commit for the Class of 2007 has been a line-saver from the start, stepping into the starting lineup as a freshmen after Lawrence Wilson broke his leg in the first game of the season.

After making 33 tackles, including 10 for a loss, as a freshman, Heyward felt he didn't have a great season last year, when he had 36 tackles and 4.5 tackles for loss.

"He's never satisfied," defensive line coach Jim Heacock said. "He (thinks he) had a terrible practice, a terrible day, a terrible year. He can get three sacks and think it's the worst drill ever. He's never satisfied and that's what makes him what he is."

While offensive lineman Justin Boren has quickly earned a reputation for bringing a nasty attitude to the offensive line, one peek at a practice this year saw Heyward's version of nasty, as he got in two quick fights with sophomore offensive tackle Mike Adams in a span of about five minutes. If you're looking for a veteran to help a young lineman find an edge, Heyward is a logical candidate for the job.

Heyward can play even better, and Heacock said he saw a stronger focus from the 6-foot-6, 287-pounder this spring. As deep as the Buckeyes are, they'd be lacking on the line if the Georgia native with Pittsburgh roots had chosen LSU, Georgia or Florida over the Buckeyes.
OSUBasketballJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Bucknuts.com$

Bucknuts TV: Cameron Heyward In Action................
Old 08-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

PlainDealer

Quote:
No. 6: Junior defensive lineman Cameron Heyward

I was talking with former Detroit Lions' general manager Matt Millen at the Big Ten meetings two weeks ago about Terrelle Pryor. And Millen just brought up Cameron Heyward.

He likes, as he called him, "Ironhead's kid," a lot. And what's not to like?

When Heyward plays defensive tackle, he's Ohio State's best defensive tackle. When he plays defensive end, he may be the Buckeyes' most complete package against the pass and the run at defensive end.

Heyward is listed as a starting defensive end opposite Thaddeus Gibson. But like last year, expect that against spread offenses, Heyward will be inside at tackle at least part of the time, while against more traditional offensive teams, he'll be outside at end.

With the depth Ohio State has at end, with Gibson and Heyward joined by Lawrence Wilson, Nathan Williams, Solomon Thomas and maybe Rob Rose, I feel like Heyward can help the Buckeyes more inside, where his athleticism stands out even more.

But defensive coordinator and defensive line coach Jim Heacock thought Heyward played better at end last season.

Either way, Heyward will be on the field a lot, and he'll be one of the best players out there.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
Buck68
Rising Star

Favorite Buckeye: no
Credits: 1,000,000

Quote:
No. 6: Junior defensive lineman Cameron Heyward

I was talking with former Detroit Lions' general manager Matt Millen at the Big Ten meetings two weeks ago about Terrelle Pryor. And Millen just brought up Cameron Heyward.

He likes, as he called him, "Ironhead's kid," a lot. And what's not to like?

When Heyward plays defensive tackle, he's Ohio State's best defensive tackle. When he plays defensive end, he may be the Buckeyes' most complete package against the pass and the run at defensive end.

Heyward is listed as a starting defensive end opposite Thaddeus Gibson. But like last year, expect that against spread offenses, Heyward will be inside at tackle at least part of the time, while against more traditional offensive teams, he'll be outside at end.

With the depth Ohio State has at end, with Gibson and Heyward joined by Lawrence Wilson, Nathan Williams, Solomon Thomas and maybe Rob Rose, I feel like Heyward can help the Buckeyes more inside, where his athleticism stands out even more.

But defensive coordinator and defensive line coach Jim Heacock thought Heyward played better at end last season.

Either way, Heyward will be on the field a lot, and he'll be one of the best players out there.
Coach Tressel says football is a game of "pressure". Is our best "pressure" DL Gibson, Worthington, Heyward, and Williams - 2 speed rushers, 2 passing lane obstructors? If Heacock wants 'pressure' in a 3-4 'look'...Gibson and/or Sabino or with Rolle on a blitz/loop?

the DL roster: Rose ???, LW in extended recovery, Mobley <trend..., Solomon wins the Not Intentionally Mentioned Reserve ofthe Day [NIMROD] Award. But each day, is a new day.

Last edited by Buck68; 08-14-2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: fix quote format error
Buck68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Heyward in my opinion is our most complete defensive lineman........I perfer to see him DT but it makes since to move him to DE against the spread........I am hoping for a big year from Cameron.............we need to put pressure on the quarterback..............
Old 08-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
Anchorman
Buckeye HOF

Favorite Buckeye: Jack Tatum Chic Harley Luke Fickell Etienne Sabino Brian Rolle Dee Miller
Credits: 1,077,371

It would help if our DCoordinator would blitz our LBs. Which he started doing after the USC debacle last year.
Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Bucknuts.com$

Angry Goliath..............Heyward was disappointed on performance last season and has dedicated himself this off season to raising his performance during his junior season. Heyward is 6'6 and 284 pounds this season.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
Buck68
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
It would help if our DCoordinator would blitz our LBs. Which he started doing after the USC debacle last year.
we did blitz last year. Did you notice which situations we blitzed how many from where, how?

it just could be that all blitzs...aren't the same. Nor are all results.

And once again, this can/can't, do/don't mindset...mischaracterizes the dynamic nature and the severl things that are going on 'in the moment'.

---if you picture the 4-3, 3-4, 2 speed DE variant, Rolle MLB variant, and Star... those schemes/adjustments can help you 'see' how the coaches are moving around the players/positions to counter... 'the spread'.

WIGO? Well, our traditional D 'picture' for the front 7 is in terms of "gaps". Normal is 1 gap [4-3]. Two gap if they line up double tight, or we drop a LB into coverage... Zero gap if we 'fill' with the SS [aka Ye Olde '8 in the box'].

So, if our traditional 'picture' is the 4-3 w/1,0,2 gaps...you can use that 'base' to compare the variants...and start to figure out what would be the reasons for so doing....

Now, returning to your assertion about blitzes. No person knows the actual consequences of a hypothetical 'not doing'. What bothered me about last year's blitzing that we DID DO...was the number of times our LB's were unable to 'finish' their assignment. Observing some blitzes...i looked to group 'similar' behaviors. I found one: our blitzing LB's tended to 'engage' the first blocker head up. What's the consequence of that? Well, if i put myself in the QB's or the RB's place...that gives me TWO OPTIONS to escape! I.E. either side of my blocker. Now the LB has to BOTH outreact me the ballcarrier, AND shuck my blocker AT THE SAME TIME in order to 'finish'.

And if the DC sends TWO LB's to 'solve this problem...either LB can UNSOLVE the solution by engaging a blocker head up!

Take a look at the USC and PSU games where we blitz 1 or 2 lbs.... Even better, look at the 2007 IL game, 4th quarter. ....
Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
Buck68
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUBasketballJunkie View Post
Bucknuts.com$

Angry Goliath..............Heyward was disappointed on performance last season and has dedicated himself this off season to raising his performance during his junior season. Heyward is 6'6 and 284 pounds this season.
LOL. I believe the young, inexperienced kid.

however, i no longer take a poster here at his word - because way too many posters have "dedicated themselves" ...to whatever.

it's not personal...it's just a communications issue. It's like radio: if two people don't agree to use the same frequency...they cannot 'talk' to each other. That's the way it works.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
Buck68
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUBasketballJunkie View Post
Heyward in my opinion is our most complete defensive lineman........I perfer to see him DT but it makes since to move him to DE against the spread........I am hoping for a big year from Cameron.............we need to put pressure on the quarterback..............
JUNKIE...!

BeCAUSE i agree with your latter phrase...

logically i must disagree with your first phrase.... ;-{)}