Notices

Old 04-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Credits: 2,828,781
Thanked 6,752 Times in 4,599 Posts

Default General Offense Discussion

Scout.com$

Still An "I" In Ohio State Offense In 2009...................
OSUBasketballJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Scout.com (Free)

Possibilities Abound In Backfield...............
Old 04-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Dispatch

Quote:
Youngsters on the way

Running backs coach Dick Tressel said last week that freshmen Jamaal Berry and Carlos Hyde will have a chance to make an immediate impact when they arrive in the summer.

Both are from Florida and could add different dimensions to the mix that includes veteran tailbacks Dan Herron and Brandon Saine. Berry is smaller (5 feet 11, 195 pounds) but explosive; Hyde (6-1, 230) is a tailback in a fullback body.

Tressel was asked whether Herron and Saine were aware that competition is on the way.

"I think our guys are aware of that," he said. "If you've been here a couple years, you're very aware of that. The world today in recruiting is everybody is looking around (asking), 'How many guys you got? I want to play right away.'

"They're looking for that, and I feel like telling them, 'Hey, don't worry about the guys in front of (you), because they'll move on. It's the guy behind you that you better be worried about, because we're going to go get another great one, too, if we can.' And I think they understand that."
Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

Dispatch

Quote:
OSU notebook: Fullbacks could play bigger role this year

Friday, April 10, 2009 2:59 AM
By Tim May
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The Ohio State offense is doing some remodeling this spring after the departure of many ball-handlers from last year's team. The use of the fullback -- perhaps more I formation than in 2008 -- could be in the blueprints.

The backfield appears to be crawling with fullback candidates, though all are inexperienced.

"James Georgiades has been here a year, and he understands," running backs coach Dick Tressel said yesterday. "He's a walk-on, but he's a husky kid, a lineman-type of guy coming out of (North Canton Hoover) that can run."

Jermil Martin, a freshman a year ago, will be in the mix, too, though he had to miss the first few days of spring drills after a tonsillectomy.

"Jermil Martin is an explosively physical kid," Tressel said.

And there is early enrollee Adam Homan, part of the 2009 recruiting class. The younger brother of linebacker Ross Homan of Coldwater, Adam has caught Tressel's eye repeatedly.

Continued.............
Old 04-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Buck68
Rising Star

Favorite Buckeye: no
Credits: 1,000,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUBasketballJunkie View Post
Scout.com (Free)

Possibilities Abound In Backfield...............
of course possibilities abound; just like just sayin's and feelin's....

However, from the article:
Quote:
“They’ll look very similar if we’re ahead 21-7,” Tressel said with a laugh. “You’re going to see the fullback out there and we’re going to run the ball and somebody’s going to probably carry it 25 times. We’re ready to do that.”
from the same mindset, "you're going to see" the same old reps of the same old thinking.
Buck68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
OSUBasketballJunkie
Super Moderator

ToledoBlade

Quote:
Article published April 14, 2009
2 backs rush in to void left by Wells

COLUMBUS - If there were a Mount Rushmore equivalent carved into the side of Ohio Stadium to honor the Buckeyes' greatest running backs, Dan "Boom" Herron knows the faces that would be etched there in stone.

He also wants room for one more.

"Everybody remembers Archie Griffin, Eddie George, Beanie Wells," Herron said. "I want my name to be in that category. I want everybody to remember me as being a great back."

As the Buckeyes work through their spring practice in preparation for the 2009 football season, Herron and Brandon Saine are in competition for the starting job at tailback, vacated by Wells' early exit for the NFL.

When Herron mentions Griffin, George and Wells, he cites a heavily decorated group. Those first two guys left Ohio State with Heisman Trophies, and the third one likely could have, if not for injuries in 2008, or his decision to skip his senior season.

Continued..........
Old 04-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
BUCKEYMAN45303
Walk On

Favorite Buckeye: WELLS, GHOLSTON, HAWK, LARINATIUS

What are the chances of seening more of the full back... Wont it be going mostly to the spread offence?
BUCKEYMAN45303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
hollis
Brax's only fan

Favorite Buckeye: AJ Hawk
Credits: 163,671,935
Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,093 Posts

There have been talks of using Saine as a "fullback." Not really in the traditional blocking role, but as another receiving threat.

I don't like the traditional fullback for this season's team. I would have prefered for Beanie to have someone to run behind last season though. We need as many of our playmakers on the field as possible, and we haven't had a playmaker at FB for a long time.
hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Buck68
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis View Post
There have been talks of using Saine as a "fullback." Not really in the traditional blocking role, but as another receiving threat.

I don't like the traditional fullback for this season's team. I would have prefered for Beanie to have someone to run behind last season though. We need as many of our playmakers on the field as possible, and we haven't had a playmaker at FB for a long time.
In the Cooper era there were productive fullbacks [Scottie Graham, good ol' #8 Jeff Cothran], a devastating blocker [Sualua as a redshirt FRESHMAN, Jamir Martin], and a versatile offensive threat [Keller].

In the Tressel era, the use of the FB and TE have been within the narrow, predictable confines of preferred Tresselball.

===an ironic illustration that, once again, "having" the ingredients, does not bake a great cake. Tressel has achieved more with less stars, and less with more stars. Cooper the Starter proved he could sink a Titanic boatload of talent in a big game finish.

even the 'Patch sorta caught onto 'the idea', when they titled the Rose Bowl victory ove ASU a "miracle". The actual last minute TD march by the team, while Cooper whined on the sidelines...well, it was novel when WE did it. And that you can maintain a facade for a while, as the integrity of the team disintegrates from within.

So TACTICALLY speaking, it's of very minor consequence whether JT prefers a blocking FB [245], a blocking H back [240-265], a or blocking TE [250-270].

Any bean counter can count that the results of 245-270 pounds of BLOCKER,

dutifully VISIONING hisself [LOL] to THEE HOLE ASSIGNED

...miraculously encountering 450 to 700 pounds of pissed off LINEBACKERS

... is going to tend ...

"to be disappointing".

PSYCHOLOGICALLY SPEAKING, Buckeye experts and coaches have, since the days of Woody, put problem solving on IGNORE in favor of their imaging of their preferences. In a phrase, the IGNORant are "just as expected" to an excellent problem solver.

but that is a life relationship, not just football. To those 'having a relationship', this basic reality relationship is completely on IGNORE.

====SO once again, we enjoy a hardworking staff that has recruited a boatload of talent far superior as a group to most of our opponents. Once again...watching, looking, listening for indicators...of problem solving.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
Buck68
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUBasketballJunkie View Post
i remember the day i was in the WHAC when Ron Dayne showed up for his visit. I remember it now because i just recently listened to Ron Dayne describe his reception that very same day on Eddie's BTN show.

i forget who the poster was who said Eddie's Show "met his very low expectations". Well, as you dial up your IGNORoMeter, you 'vision' less and less. Who why the big surprise you can't hit your plate with your fork? It does explain instinctive defensiveness.

Ron Dayne... when i saw the phrase "TB in a FB's body" about Carlos Hyde... i remembered a friend using the very same phrase to characterize Ron Dayne.

They didn't 'give Ron a look' or a "face visit" with the HC. Ya know why? Becuase they were playing the imaging game with certain recruits, and had to keep their story straight. If they hadn't been so darned busy tap dancing to their own tunes...

oh well...

====it is kinda ironic... as JT has brought in several "too small, too slow" "skill players" in the past couple years. And soon we'll have 5 fullbacks on the rosters...to go with 2 QB's a walk on, an assistant coach, and a Partridge in a Pair Tree.