Go Back   ScarletBuckeye - Ohio State Forums > Buckeye Basketball & Sports > Ohio State Sports

Notices

Old 04-19-2008, 07:17 AM   #1
Bucknuts3347
Scout Team

Favorite Buckeye: Chris " Beanie" Wells
Credits: 1,000,000

Default Ohio State Wrestling

I was intrested in going to the official OSU wrestling camp. I was wondering if anyone here has everygone. If so if you could write anything important likes and dislikes or if you have heard of the camp from anybody else
Old 05-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
BUCKS28
All American

Favorite Buckeye: James Laurinaitis, Beanie Wells, Malcolm Jenkins, Kurt Coleman

no I haven't but that would seem pretty cool.

BUCKS28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Gold
On Scholarship

Favorite Buckeye: Katzenmoyer, Clarett, Santonio Holmes, Laurinaitis

Default Wrestling Recruiting

In the last week Tom Ryan has picked up commitments from Logan Stieber, a junior-to-be phenom from Monroeville. Former #1 ranked 215 lber Cody Gardner. Also, it looks like Dave Rella, former Walsh Jesuit star, will end up at OSU next year and likely take over 174.

Any thoughts, discussion?

Last edited by Gold; 05-26-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Arapahoe
CEO 3:16

Favorite Buckeye: Ryan Shazier, Bradley Roby, Malcolm Jenkins, Chris Gamble
Credits: 51,580
Thanked 4,042 Times in 2,445 Posts

I don't follow wrestling nearly as much as football or basketball but it's great to see the Ohio State Wrestling program getting back to where they should be.
Arapahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
fireman937
Super Moderator

Favorite Buckeye: Little Animal
Credits: 1,096,609

Thanks for the info gold. Hard to pay attention but great to hear.
fireman937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
Arapahoe

Keep us updated on wrestling though. You know more about this than I do.

- How many recruits does the program usually take each year?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
Gold
On Scholarship

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBuckeye View Post
Keep us updated on wrestling though. You know more about this than I do.

- How many recruits does the program usually take each year?
It's tough to say, and it depends on what you consider a "recruit." A wrestling starting line up is 10 men. Because of Title IX, schools are allowed to give the equivalent of only 9.9 full scholarships at any given time. This means that a collegiate team cannot even field a starting lineup of players on full rides. And a good wrestling program needs depth--every starter has to have backups pushing him and competing to take his spot, just like in any other sport. Because of this, almost no one gets a full athletic scholarship at the top schools.

I'm not exactly sure of what goes down at OSU, but I think it is something like this: They give incoming freshman stars a significant chunk of change (i.e. 20-40%). However wrestlers can earn bigger scholarships based on their performance during the season. For example, if they win an NCAA title, I should think they would get their scholarship increased quite significantly for the following year.

So, to answer your question, I think OSU typically has about 5 big recruits every year that probably get some money. These wrestlers typically have won 2-4 State Titles (which is truly impressive, as Ohio is arguably the best HS wrestling state, and most OSU wrestlers are from Ohio) and pretty much dominated most of their competition late in their careers.

After that, there are typically about 5-7 that are on the team, but don't have nearly the credentials of the "blue chip" wrestlers I just talked about above. This group includes some people that won a state title their senior year, or maybe just placed. I don't know if these guys get scholarships at all or if they just walk on.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
Gold
On Scholarship

Default Cody Gardner (Wrestler): Transferring to OSU

I mentioned this in the other thread (Wrestling Recruiting), but thought I would take the time to emphasize what a big deal this is.

Last year, Ohio State's wrestling team had the top rated recruiting class in the country. However, Cody Gardner was the top recruit in the country, regardless of weight class. He chose to go to Virginia Tech.

Very early in the season, Cody quit the team, and announced he was done with wrestling because his heart just wasn't in it any more. He said his wrestling career was over. But now it appears that he has changed his mind and is coming to OSU.

What makes this even better is his weight. He wrestled in High School as a 215 lber. In college, there is no 215--there is only 197 and Heavyweight (285 pounds). This year, Ohio State's heavyweight, JD Bergman, finished 2nd at NCAA's. However, Bergman will be graduating this spring, and there is no elite wrestler to take his place. If Gardner wrestles heavyweight, that would be awesome. But even if he doesn't end up as a starter at 197 or heavyweight, he will definitely contribute significantly to the depth of the room. It's a great situation.

His transfer is equivalent to Michael Beasley or Percy Harvin transferring to Ohio State.

Last edited by Gold; 05-26-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #9
Gold
On Scholarship

Default Logan Stieber (2010 Wrestler): Why his commitment is HUGE for Ohio State Wrestling

Ohio is one of the best (and quite possibly the best) states for high school wrestling. However, in the past, Ohio State has not been successful in keeping all of this talent in state. That all changed last year, however, when new Head Coach Tom Ryan took over and landed the #1 recruiting class in the country, a class that was built on Ohio wrestlers.

Logan Stieber is a sophomore right now at Monroeville High School (in the middle of no where). He also is ranked #1 in the country at his weight class, regardless of age. Furthermore, he is one of the most dominant wrestlers in the recent history of the nation in terms of success on the national scale in all 3 styles (freestyle, folkstyle, and greco-roman). He has NEVER lost a freestyle match (at least since elementary school) and has only lost 1 folkstyle (that's what they wrestle in high school and college) match in the same time period. When he is a senior, Logan will likely be considered the #1 recruit in the country, regardless of weight class.

But that isn't even the best thing about this commitment. The best thing about Logan's commitment is what likely comes with Logan: 3 more superstars. Monroeville has never been known as a wrestling school. It was just another school in Ohio until Logan came along last year.

However, this year, 3 more superstars popped up as freshman. The first is Hunter Stieber (Logan's little brother). Hunter is currently ranked #2 in the nation at his weight class (103 pounds). The second is Chris Phillips. Simply put, Phillips has the potential to become known as the best High School wrestler EVER. Hold on--I need a new paragraph to talk about him.

It is not entirely uncommon for a freshman to be ranked #1 at a light weight class like 103 or 112 (like Hunter and Logan Stieber). However, Phillips does not wrestle at a small weight class. He wrestles at 171 pounds--a weight class dominated by seniors (this is a man's weight class). At the beginning of the year, an Ohio guy named Brian Roddy was considered one of the top seniors in the country. He was ranked #1 in the country at 171. In the most difficult wrestling tournament in the country (The Ironman), Chris Phillips beat #1 ranked Roddy by a score of 7-3. That is a decent margin. That same day, Phillips beat the #6 ranked and #15 ranked wrestlers. Chris Phillips should be ranked #1 in the country at 171, but because he is a freshman, he is only ranked #7. He is the only underclassman ranked at all at 171. He is still undefeated, and won State this year. I don't know of any other wrestler in history to dominate such a high weight class at such a young age (he was 14 when he beat 18-year-old Roddy).

The third superstar is not quite on the same level as the Hunter and Chris. His name is Cam Tessari, and he won state this year, but he had 1-3 losses on the way there. All four of these guys will in all likelihood become 4 time state champions--a feat only 16 wrestlers have accomplished in Ohio High School history.

In conclusion, if Hunter, Chris, and Cam all follow Logan's lead and come to Ohio State, Buckeye wrestling fans will have a tremendous amount to be happy about. There are a couple of other people that Logan's commitment could influence, but I don't feel like typing any more.

Last edited by Gold; 05-26-2008 at 11:00 PM. Reason: grammar
The Following User Says Thank You to Gold For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
Arapahoe

Great post Gold! It's really great to see that Ohio State is getting it's wrestling program back on the map. Considering Ohio has tremendous talent year in and year out that makes it essential that we keep it in Ohio. It really seems like our new coach is making this all happen which is what they needed.