Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
hollis
Brax's only fan

Favorite Buckeye: AJ Hawk
Credits: 163,673,084
Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,093 Posts

Default Sony PlayStation 4

I'm not a Sony guy, but I know some on here are. What do you think?

GizmodoŚ The PlayStation 4 Is Here (Update: Sort Of)

hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
wesbranscum
Buckeye Extremist

Favorite Buckeye: George,Hawk,Hyde,Simon, Boren, Griffin, Doss, Lauranitis,Bosa
Credits: 46,469
Thanked 1,146 Times in 846 Posts

i honestly dont see why we need a new system(s), sure better graphics but when you look at the specs of ps4 they are only something like 20% better than the current xbox, and still way shor of gaming computers, sony has put so much into the social media aspect as im sure xbox will as well, i mean do you really need to tap into your friends live play feed, or even take over control of his game like you can on the ps4. These companys are just greedy lets be honest i love console gaming but only thing that we need is better graphics, and i mean life like, anything short is a waste IMO and consoles need to support 64 player multiplayer.

Alot of what both of these companies are going to add is completly useless unless you live and die by your system, both will not be backwards compatible and even though sony claims you can still play used games i see that changins by release date

on top of that Sony said in an interveiw earlier in january they were not going to reveil until xbox did, so something makes me think xbox is on to something mind blowing and sony need to flood market before xbox becomes released. and sony has 2-3 new ps3 bundles beign released within next 6 months which makes no sense

right now on amazon the price of a ps4 game is $99 and console is rumored to be around 600-700 bucks,

both sony and xbox know there is really no need for a new one other than greed, hell sony can barley get the ps3 right, that ****ign thing is always updatign cause of a bug or seems to be down IMO

but worst of all sony is doing away with gammer tags and you use your social media name as your game tag, which mean i can no longer keep STANKYGINA and im not willing to give that up
Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
hollis
Brax's only fan

Well, I won't argue against these game companies being greedy...

But, they do lose money with every system sold; at least for the first couple years of the system's production. The Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U were all initially sold at a price below their production costs.

What Microsoft and Sony want to do is become the media hub in everyone's living room, and sell games that encourage monthly service fees and downloadable content.

They're both pushing to prevent places like Gamestop and Buybacks from feeding a used game market, which is why you see that push for downloadable games and add-on content. I think the solution would be a tax on used game sales that would go to the developers, but I don't see how this could be legal or enforceable.

Nintendo is a different animal, not that they're innocent; I just don't understand them... I am considering a Wii U just to see Mario in HD. My 4-year old is all about it. Every time he finds change laying around he asks me "Do I have enough for a Wii U now?"
Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
wesbranscum
Buckeye Extremist

Favorite Buckeye: George,Hawk,Hyde,Simon, Boren, Griffin, Doss, Lauranitis,Bosa
Credits: 46,469
Thanked 1,146 Times in 846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis View Post
Nintendo is a different animal, not that they're innocent; I just don't understand them... I am considering a Wii U just to see Mario in HD. My 4-year old is all about it. Every time he finds change laying around he asks me "Do I have enough for a Wii U now?"
nintendo shoots themselves in the foot IMO, they struggle because they fail to do what they should, i firmly believe if they were to take all of the snes and nes games they still had rights to and put them all in hd then they would be competitive again, hell how many of us wouldnt want an updated version of duck hunt, they have done this with some games, but i just dont know how long they can stay in the competition if they do not do something drastic, i mean how do you release wii without hd when they other systems came with hd, sometimes i wish microsoft could buy mario and bring it to the xbox
Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
McKraut
8th Leaf & NC, 2013

Favorite Buckeye: Demetrius Stanley, Mike Doss, Malcolm Jenkins, James Laurinatis, AJ Hawk, Kurt Coleman
Credits: 3,540,898
Thanked 1,151 Times in 822 Posts

Personally I think it's bloody stupid the direction they're going in. Sony doing away with gamer tags is just stupid, it makes you more open to getting hacked having your social profile directly linked to your gaming profile, and they already have a history of security breeches. The touch screen on the controller is a stupid idea as it's so small it can't truly be that diverse in it's functions let alone that integrated into game play... they should keep it as is with the lone improvement being widening them just a bit so the thumb sticks are farther apart. And Wes is spot on about they should develop the graphics a large step before bothering with a new console. As if sits I can buy a laptop or a desktop that will far outperform either the PS4 or the XBox 720, so why bother until they make a significant improvement over the current systems?

I like the XBox 720's idea with the room scan and projection feature, but that's not a major improvement on the console itself... it could be an improvement made upon the Kinect package or as a stand alone add on instead of a brand new system.

http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-orbis-unveiled/

Here's a good article highlighting the tech spec comparisons between the two and the reality is that the Orbis (PS4) only edges the Durango (XBox 720) by a marginal amount. The CPUs are virtually identical, and the GPUs are barely any different. For the actual specs given and the estimated cost of both (around $700-800 from what I've heard so far)... you can build your own tower that out performs both by miles for about $1,000-1,200, only a few hundred more, not to mention that a desktop allows you to do far more than just play games and use Netflix/Hulu, etc.

If they were launching systems with let's say 16GB of operations dedicated DDR3 memory, GPUs that would be on par with let's say the Radeon 7870 or GeForce 660 GTX, and 8 core processors with comparable power to the AMD Bulldozers (in other words around 3.2 to 4 GHz with 32MB L1, L2, and L3 cache as opposed to the 1.6 GHz and 4 MB L1 and L2 cache) then I could see launching a new console.

With AMD prepping up to launch the 12 core version of the Piledriver/Bulldozer architecture within the next year the cost of the FX 8120 3.1 GHz CPU is down to $150; the price of the GPUs for the Orbis and Durango are currently about $150 and one that doubles the performance, Sapphire's Radeon 7870 (1050 MHz processor speed with 2 GB of dedicated DDR5 RAM @ 1200 MHz and 1280 stream processors, capable of over 2 teraflops per second) is readily available at about $220, the cost of 16GB of DDR3 memory at 1600 MHz is about $100, and the cost of 1TB SATA6 HDD down to around $80, there's no excuse other than wanting a greedy initial profit for not developing a system that is far more powerful.

The prices I quoted are retail pricing, when buying in bulk, Microsoft and Sony will get HUGE discounts given the volume they'd be buying, we're talking about 65-70% retail. So you're talking about having to build and design their own proprietary mother board, but being able to more than double the power of what their going to use and offer, at a bulk 70% discount price, that's about $388.50 per unit, plus the cost of their own case, power supply, and proprietary motherboard... in theory, including the cost of labor, materials, production costs, etc., they should have a cost of about $600 per unit. And they want to sell it at a reported $700-800... if you already have a tower and a power supply, add in about $150-175 bucks for the cost of an adequate motherboard... you're talking spending about $700-725 on an overhaul of a desktop that provides double the performance of either console... Plus PC games will still cost $50-60 brand new, not the $90-100 being rumored for the Orbis and Durango.

They have some neat ideas for what they are trying to do with each, but the cost-performance ratio versus the advancing speed of tech. advancement... imo, they aren't going to be worth buying, at least not over the first 2 to 4 years while they work out the inevitable bugs, glitches, and hardware faults and the unit price drops to around what the 360 and PS3 are currently selling for.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
ScarletMerica
Super Buckin' Moderator

Favorite Buckeye: Jesse Owens, Troy Smith, Ted Ginn, Samantha Prahalis, Braxton Miller
Credits: 7,526,947
Thanked 1,214 Times in 828 Posts

My eyes glazed over after reading this for awhile but the basic idea is that they are putting out nonsense with little worthwhile updates. Right?

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/ScarletMerica

ScarletMerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
louts8wings
Team America

Favorite Buckeye: Mike Doss and Mike Vrabel
Credits: 1,447,267
Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,234 Posts

Won't buy a system for over 700 bucks. I have had ps1 up to the ps3. Not going to spend that much on a system that has been passed by Microsoft.
louts8wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
Agent Johnny Utah
Buckeye HOF

Favorite Buckeye: Chris Gamble
Credits: 1,089,405

I couldn't care less about social media and connecting with Call of Duty players. I just immediately mute all of them anyway.

That being said, I have been a playstation guy since 1994. I will wait until the first price drop and then get the PS4.
I gotta go back,
To Ohio
Ohio, Ohio
Agent Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
hollis
Brax's only fan

I would be shocked if the PS4 or the next Xbox started at more than $599. The Wii U is right at $300. I expect Sony and Microsoft to aim for $400 with their base gaming systems.

I've read reports that Microsoft wants to do a non-gaming version of the Xbox as well (media hub, a la Apple TV), that would need to be under $150.
The Following User Says Thank You to hollis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Block "O"
Super Sophomore Moderator

Favorite Buckeye: Antoine Winfield, Chris Spielman, and ME
Credits: 3,538,519
Thanked 3,089 Times in 2,086 Posts

I would def get PS4
Block "O" is online now   Reply With Quote