Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
wesbranscum
Buckeye Extremist

Favorite Buckeye: George,Hawk,Hyde,Simon, Boren, Griffin, Doss, Lauranitis,Bosa
Credits: 45,435
Thanked 1,142 Times in 842 Posts

Default your opinion

just wondering what you guys thought on this subject, im a high school coach and work at middle school with 7th and 8th graders, well in ohio now your 8th grade grades determine if you are eligible, and we have so many "teachers" here who treat these kids like college students

i mean i talked to one who wont give anymake up work at all and accept no late work, hes a band director and told me as a coach i should appreciate him weaving out the kids now, i think its wrong to think that way, so many kids change from 8th grade to the time they finish high school he writes them off too soon. What is even crazier is the teacher next to him lets kids turn in homework whenever,

so my big question is when do we start holding these kids responsible, to such as degree as when they fail they fail, some of these teachers dont even help these kids they just write them off asap.

i told him there needs to be a uniform homework rule then, becuase at the high school some teacher allow late work, the only ones who disagree with me are the teachers who also work with the band, of course they never have to put up with the kids sports coaches do,

are these kids setting themselves up for failure because in 8th grade they arnt fully mature or are the teachers?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
PHATBUCK13
Under The Influence

Favorite Buckeye: Ben Edwards, Billy Price, Joey Bosa, Curtis Samuel
Credits: 145,909,997
Thanked 6,159 Times in 4,564 Posts

8th grade is old enough to hold them accountable for their behaivor...

I think a rule that takes 20% off of any late homework would be an approach to take...

If the homework is worth 10 points, and dude scores a 8, take the addition 20% juice off and it's now a 6...

If it's graded on simply completion of assignment and it's late, that's an 80% and not 100%...

That would make it harder for them to keep their grades up if they don't stay on task and on point, and show them that there are consequences, yet it would still give them a chance to learn from their mistakes...
Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Block "O"
Super Sophomore Moderator

Favorite Buckeye: Antoine Winfield, Chris Spielman, and ME
Credits: 3,538,329
Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,084 Posts

As long as the teachers give them ample time to get their work in I also do not see the need for make up work or late hand-ins. But then again I went to private school from pre-k through 8th grade so the standards were higher than crappy public school. Also when I did finally get to high school it was a breeze.
Block "O" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
wesbranscum
Buckeye Extremist

im old school and believe in being firm , but part of my problem that sways me is the way these teachers approach these kids, there is so much inconsistancy from teacher to teacher, i believe once that gets fixed it would be better, plus there are teachers here who give kids with troubled homelifes more time, ive seen this personally, i do not that believe that is fair,and when i said so i got the whole, home life is hard speech, but ask to give a make up assignment to a player, and im the guy who wants football only to rule

Last edited by wesbranscum; 02-12-2013 at 11:22 AM.
wesbranscum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
hollis
Brax's only fan

Favorite Buckeye: AJ Hawk
Credits: 163,671,814
Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,093 Posts

Well, as long as this teacher is consistent from student-to-student with his policies, and the bulk of his students seem to get by okay; I don't think you have a legitimate beef. If he's singling your guy out, or if his policies are so strict that he's flunking more than 1/4 of his kids then there's an issue IMO.

My alma-mater down here recently instituted an interesting homework policy for the high school.

All grades are determined by quizzes, tests and project scores. Homework grades are not kept. The incentive for homework is that if you have your assignments completed, you can retake tests and projects to improve your grade.

I'm skeptical of the system, but I get the concept. We aren't grading work ethic or free time, we're grading the understanding of information and concepts. Homework is often a boost to grades, especially with the elaborate homework "sharing" circles we had when I was in school. If teachers can follow it, without dumbing down the tests it can work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block "O" View Post
But then again I went to private school...

shocker
hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hollis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
wesbranscum
Buckeye Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis View Post
Well, as long as this teacher is consistent from student-to-student with his policies, and the bulk of his students seem to get by okay; I don't think you have a legitimate beef. If he's singling your guy out, or if his policies are so strict that he's flunking more than 1/4 of his kids then there's an issue IMO.

My alma-mater down here recently instituted an interesting homework policy for the high school.

All grades are determined by quizzes, tests and project scores. Homework grades are not kept. The incentive for homework is that if you have your assignments completed, you can retake tests and projects to improve your grade.

I'm skeptical of the system, but I get the concept. We aren't grading work ethic or free time, we're grading the understanding of information and concepts. Homework is often a boost to grades, especially with the elaborate homework "sharing" circles we had when I was in school. If teachers can follow it, without dumbing down the tests it can work.

shocker
our eigth grade class is about 250 kids, 60 with 2 or more F's of that 60, 20 in his class, im not trying to say make things easier, but when something isnt working it needs to be looked at, i personally like the no homework grades, only test and such, i know when i was in school i never did homework but passed all test with A's but ended up with B's becuase i didnt do my homework...
Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
PHATBUCK13
Under The Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block "O" View Post
But then again I went to private school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis View Post

shocker

This explains sooo much...
Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
PHATBUCK13
Under The Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbranscum View Post
our eigth grade class is about 250 kids, 60 with 2 or more F's of that 60, 20 in his class, im not trying to say make things easier, but when something isnt working it needs to be looked at, i personally like the no homework grades, only test and such, i know when i was in school i never did homework but passed all test with A's but ended up with B's becuase i didnt do my homework...
Me too...

I NEVER did homework, aced damn near every test and still was about 3.1 student with zero effort...

If I was bored in study hall, I would copy somebody's answers, but as far as doing homework at home, that didn't happen after middle school...

Especially math, the teacher got so mad at me for not doing homework, yet breezing through every test that she moved me up to an advanced class...I went straight to the guidence counseler like a little cry baby and got put back into the "normal" class just so I didn't have to try...lazyness or genius?

I had partys to go to and stuff...
Old 02-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
Block "O"
Super Sophomore Moderator

Favorite Buckeye: Antoine Winfield, Chris Spielman, and ME
Credits: 3,538,329
Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATBUCK13 View Post
This explains sooo much...
We got some hatas up in here!!!!
#thishateisonfire

Block "O" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
PHATBUCK13
Under The Influence

My question to you Wes is this...

Do teachers have to give out various test sheets so kids don't text the answers to each other during class?

I was a pager guy in HS (hehe), a cell phone with texting and google search would've made school a shiz ton easier IMO...