Old 02-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
wesbranscum
Buckeye Extremist

Favorite Buckeye: George,Hawk,Hyde,Simon, Boren, Griffin, Doss, Lauranitis,Bosa
Credits: 46,569
Thanked 1,146 Times in 846 Posts

Default You only root for one team

im about to rant alittle but easier here than at my job

why are people becoming less and less more loyal to one team and claim to have favorite teamS in one sport

example i hate when people say, my fav team is green bay but my second favorite is dallas

no you only have one team per sport, they dont all have to be from same area but you only have one, i only root for OSU sports, Titans, Cubs, Cavs, and Blue jackets in their respective sport, you will never see me running around saying im rooting for celtics and wear their gear.

now dont get me wrong this doesnt mean i wont watch other teams, there is a big difference from watching and rooting, for example lets face it we all like to watch oregon, they are an exciting team but you want catch me rooting for them like they are my fav or wearing an oregon shirt

i cant stand it, drive me even crazier that i work at a school and a student will wear a Vikings shirt and dallas hat and say they are his 2 favs, no little one only 1 team, people jsut dont understand loyalty anymore, you haev a loyalty to a team not teams or conference, thats for losers
Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
seismicmike
Professor Einstein

Favorite Buckeye: Joey Bosa
Credits: 2,822
Thanked 1,200 Times in 884 Posts

I don't know, I haven't really landed on a driver for Formula One. I'd probably have to say Jensen Button is my favorite, but I also root for Lewis Hamilton. I kind of buck the whole teammates are rivals trend I guess.

I'm sort of that way with hockey too. I'm a Red Wings fan and a Blue Jackets fan. I'm that way because I was a Red Wings fan when Columbus didn't have a team. Then the Blue Jackets came around and I decided I'm supposed to root for them, but they sucked, and I didn't want to abandon the Red Wings, so I'm kind of a fan of both.

But to answer the heart issue of your question, there's something both of these sports have in common for me: I follow them casually. I'm not a "devoted" fan. I don't watch F1 or the NHL or the MLS the way I watch the NFL, MLB and college football. So just like I would call myself a Cavs fan, but I don't really follow the NBA, so I'm not really a fan of the Cavs, you could probably say I'm not really a fan of the Red Wings, the Blue Jackets, Jensen Button or Lewis Hamilton.

So I guess if someone tells you something like that, you can conclude they don't really follow the sport.

Caveat: I have a legitimate example when it comes to college basketball. I'm a fan to equally fanatic degrees of Ohio State, Dayton and Cedarville, but that's mostly because they play on different levels. Ohio State is a Major. Dayton is D1, but a Mid-Major and Cedarville is not even D1, they're D2 or D3.

Caveat 2: I am a Bengals fan. Died in the wool. But I don't hate the Browns. We're all Buckeyes after all! I root for the Bengals against the Browns, but I consider them our brothers in arms against the rest of the AFC North and against the rest of the NFL.

Caveat 3: I feel the same way about the Indians, since they're in the AL and the Reds are in the NL. I root for an I-71 World Series every year.

So, I don't know....

Since 1950, tOSU is 33-28-2 against TTUN
tOSU has 6 National Championships to TTUN's 1
tOSU has 6 Heisman Trophies to TTUN's 2
tOSU has 11 Rose/BCS Bowl* Wins to TTUN's 8
* I'm only counting BCS bowls from 1998 on, not early wins in bowls that later became BCS bowls. I'm also not counting the 2011 Sugar Bowl that was vacated. None of these numbers include the 2010-2011 season.

tOSU has 26 Big Ten Championships including 14 solo and 12 shared
TTUN's has 23 Big Ten Championships, including 11 solo and 12 shared.

tOSU's most recent Big Ten Championship: 2009
TTUN's most recent Big Ten Championship: 2004

Since 2001:
tOSU has 6 Big Ten Championships including 5 solo and 1 shared
TTUN has 2 Big Ten Championships, including 1 solo and 1 shared.
seismicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
BuckeyeChad
Buckeye HOF

Favorite Buckeye: Troy Smith, Chris Wells, Dane Sanzenbacher, James Laurinaitis, AJ Hawk
Credits: 122,495
Thanked 1,491 Times in 993 Posts

I think you can like more than one team as long as they are not rivals to some degree. I am a Texans fan but I still root for the teams up north (Browns and Bengals) in football to win just because its part of my upbringing.

I cant stand people who are yankees fans and then say they love the red sox.....that can't happen.
BuckeyeChad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BuckeyeChad For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
SanDiegoBuckeye
1st Round Pick

Favorite Buckeye: Andy Katzenmoyer, Bobby Hoying, Terry Glenn, Donte Whitner, Bradley Roby, Joey Bosa, Noah Spence
Credits: 1,371,047
Thanked 1,528 Times in 921 Posts

I have other teams I like but I don't consider myself a fan of those teams.

"The best things to happen to Michigan Football have come from Ohio." - Chris Spielman
"Notre Dame Football, returning to glory since 1989."
"STAR RATINGS DO NOT MATTER!!!" - SanDiegoBuckeye
SanDiegoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Block "O"
Super Sophomore Moderator

Favorite Buckeye: Antoine Winfield, Chris Spielman, and ME
Credits: 3,538,519
Thanked 3,089 Times in 2,086 Posts

It drives me nuts for college sports. So many people here like Notre Dame for football and IU for basketball. The only way I can see it is if you don't care that much about the sport. I'm not a huge baseball fan but I'll root for a couple teams if they happen to be on TV. I like to root for the Red Sox mainly because my family used to travel to Boston and I still love the city.
Block "O" is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Block "O" For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
AZBuckeye
Super Duper Moderater

Favorite Buckeye: Braxton Miller
Credits: 57,754
Thanked 1,224 Times in 789 Posts

I grew up as a Cavs fan (with family from Ohio), but the Lakers became my favorite team when they drafted Kobe... So I consider myself a Lakers fan with the Cavs being my 2nd favorite teams.

I also grew up as a browns fan. However, I root for other teams based on coaching/personnel. The 49ers have my favorite coach in the league, 4 former Buckeyes that play regularly, and reside in the state I live in. So they are my favorite NFL team.
AZBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
hollis
Brax's only fan

Favorite Buckeye: AJ Hawk
Credits: 163,673,520
Thanked 3,273 Times in 2,095 Posts

Sports fan loyalty is an interesting topic.

Like what Armani is talking about above, college sports and pro sports are different. It's hard for me to pledge lifelong allegiance to a professional organization. A professional organization can have absolutely no continuity... It's hard for me to know what it is I'm being loyal to.

A college on the other hand will always be there. No matter the players, no matter the coaches, no matter the administrators; Ohio State will always be there.

I guess I'm not a "fan" of any sports team outside of Ohio State... But I do have teams that I root for on every level. Sometimes my interest only lasts a couple of years, sometimes there are multiple teams per sport.
hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hollis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
SanDiegoBuckeye
1st Round Pick

Favorite Buckeye: Andy Katzenmoyer, Bobby Hoying, Terry Glenn, Donte Whitner, Bradley Roby, Joey Bosa, Noah Spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block "O" View Post
It drives me nuts for college sports. So many people here like Notre Dame for football and IU for basketball. The only way I can see it is if you don't care that much about the sport. I'm not a huge baseball fan but I'll root for a couple teams if they happen to be on TV. I like to root for the Red Sox mainly because my family used to travel to Boston and I still love the city.
It's kinda like people who were born and raised in Ohio and like Ohio State Football but are huge Kentucky Basketball fans.

"The best things to happen to Michigan Football have come from Ohio." - Chris Spielman
Old 02-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
wesbranscum
Buckeye Extremist

Favorite Buckeye: George,Hawk,Hyde,Simon, Boren, Griffin, Doss, Lauranitis,Bosa
Credits: 46,569
Thanked 1,146 Times in 846 Posts

The worst is people who are a pats fan, Yankees, UNC for bball and ttun for football. More or less band wagon fans I bet 60% of Yankees without googling it could tell you how many ws titles they have. I'm not even a Yankee fan and I know it
Old 02-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
SanDiegoBuckeye
1st Round Pick

A friend of mine originally from Chicago has this list as his favorite teams: USC football, Duke and Dayton basketball, Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bulls, Atlanta Braves.